Quick Answer: What Happens To Your Heart When You Get Shocked?

Why do I feel electric shock in my hand?

Sometimes, just 1 type of nerve is damaged.

More often, several types are damaged, and you may have several symptoms.

If your sensory nerves are damaged, you may have a feeling of “pins and needles” or “electric shocks.” You may also feel cold, prickling, pinching, or burning in your hands and feet..

What happens when current passes through human body?

If death results from an electric shock the cause of death is generally referred to as electrocution. Electric injury occurs upon contact of a body part with electricity that causes a sufficient current to pass through the person’s tissue….Electrical injuryOther namesElectrical shock6 more rows

What are the effects of getting shocked?

Some electric shocks can have a lasting impact on your health. For example, serious burns can leave permanent scars. And if the electrical current goes through your eyes, you may be left with cataracts. Some shocks can also cause ongoing pain, tingling, numbness, and muscle weakness due to internal injuries.

Why does it feel like my heart is shocking me?

Heart-attack pain is generally described as an unrelenting sensation of pressure, like an elephant sitting on your chest. A sharp, stabbing pain of short duration — like an electric shock — is more likely to come from a bone or nerve problem, such as a cracked rib or pulled muscle.

What are the after effects of an electric shock?

When nerves are affected by an electric shock, the consequences include pain, tingling, numbness, weakness or difficulty moving a limb. These effects may clear up with time or be permanent. Electric injury can also affect the central nervous system.

Can a small electric shock hurt you?

An electrical shock may cause burns, or it may leave no visible mark on the skin. In either case, an electrical current passing through the body can cause internal damage, cardiac arrest or other injury. Under certain circumstances, even a small amount of electricity can be fatal.

Is it bad to get shocked by an outlet?

Shocks from touching electrical outlets or from small appliances in the home rarely cause serious injury. However, prolonged contact may cause harm.

What should I do if my child gets shocked by an outlet?

If an electric shock knocks your child unconscious, follow these steps:Turn off the power source. … Have someone call 911 (or your local emergency number). … Check your child’s breathing and pulse. … Check for burns once your child resumes breathing.Oct 5, 2005

Can an electric shock affect your heart?

The heart is one of the most susceptible organs to electrical injury. Electrical shock may cause direct myocardial necrosis or cardiac arrhythmias. Asystole and ventricular fibrillation are the most serious arrhythmic complications of electrical injury.

How long does electricity stay in the body after a shock?

The electricity also could have affected your heart and lungs. You might not see all the damage the shock caused for up to 10 days after the shock.

What are the 4 signs of shock?

Signs and symptoms of shock vary depending on circumstances and may include:Cool, clammy skin.Pale or ashen skin.Bluish tinge to lips or fingernails (or gray in the case of dark complexions)Rapid pulse.Rapid breathing.Nausea or vomiting.Enlarged pupils.Weakness or fatigue.More items…

What is the first sign of shock?

The symptoms of shock include cold and sweaty skin that may be pale or gray, weak but rapid pulse, irritability, thirst, irregular breathing, dizziness, profuse sweating, fatigue, dilated pupils, lackluster eyes, anxiety, confusion, nausea, and reduced urine flow. If untreated, shock is usually fatal.

What are the 4 stages of shock?

It covers the four stages of shock. They include the initial stage, the compensatory stage, the progressive stage, and the refractory stage.

What does a minor electric shock feel like?

When you touch a light switch to turn on a light, you may receive a minor electrical shock. You may feel tingling in your hand or arm. Usually, this tingling goes away in a few minutes. If you do not have damage to the skin or other symptoms, there is no reason to worry.

Which organ is mainly affected by electric shock?

An electric shock may directly cause death in three ways: paralysis of the breathing centre in the brain, paralysis of the heart, or ventricular fibrillation (uncontrolled, extremely rapid twitching of the heart muscle).